Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 4, 2010

ASSAM REGIONAL POSTAL CHESS MEET

Assam Regional Postal Ches Meet begins at Silchar from today. For the first time in my long service career I have decided to skip the meet this year. The organizers of the meet have been trying vigorously to persuade me in the last few days but I could not help it. My heart is literally broken for not being able to participate in the meet. Chess is my passion and some times I fail to believe that Regional Postal Chess is going on and I am not there! I had visited Silchar two times to participate in the Regional Postal chess Meet in the yesteryears and each time I was fond of the people of Silchar for their warm hospitality. Even today I asked myself why I could not motivate myself to participate in the meet but never got any convincing answer. One reason could be that the All India Postal Chess Meet is to be held at Indore this year and I had already visited Indore to participate in the all India meet in 2006. Whatever the reason I tender my heartiest apology to Saumitra, Abhijit and Kishalay for not been able to attend in the Regional Postal Chess meet at Silchar. I wish successful organization of the chess meet at Silchar as usual.
At this halfway juncture of my life I would like to look back to the performance of my chess career in the Postal department. I have participated in the Regional Postal Chess Meet for record 17 times since 1992 and secured 1st position 11 times, 2nd position three times, 3rd position two times and 4th position one time. I have represented Assam Circle in the All India Postal Chess Meet for record 15 times. I am actually indebted and grateful to the Dept of Posts for giving me the passport for Bharat Darshan in the name of chess meet. In the long span of 20 years of my Postal chess career I have found 3 genuine chess players viz., Khalil Ahmed, Shashi Bhushan Rajkonwar and Saumitra Goswami who were able to beat me. This year only Saumitra Goswami is in the fray and I wish him every success in the ensuing All India Postal Chess Meet scheduled to be held at Indore from 29th Sep/2010.

No comments: